Saturday, July 5, 2014

Road Trip with friends!

Awesome week!  I had decided to close my shop for the next two weeks, so I went with two of my new-found friends on a road trip through Colorado.  Lori and Sami had been coming into my shop now for months and they are always taking road trips, so I told them I would love to join them sometime.   They are such fun-loving, enjoyable people – such a riot!  So we cooked up this idea and since William had to work this week, we took off Tuesday morning heading down hwy 50 out of Pueblo for Florence, Canyon City, Selida, over Monarch Pass, Blue Mesa Canyon, and Cimarron – we ended up staying in a cabin in this most wonderful, green valley called “Peaceful Valley Campground” – a beautiful creek running through it – we had a campfire and cooked hot dogs and smores.  Great time.  We originally were going to take another day to go around through Aspen and Buena Vista and come back through Colorado Springs, but we ran out of money …. so we just retraced our steps and had another wonderful day going through art galleries and antique stores. 

I found Florence and Selida to be the nicest places – Florence is full of antique stores stuffed with the most awesome antiques.  Tons of old-fashioned tools (of which I’m trying to collect) and everything the pioneers came out here with – more so than I’ve ever seen anywhere else in this country (and I’ve been to a lot of antique stores!).  Selida is full of art galleries – the most awesome artwork!  Not only that, but both Florence and Selida  (even Canyon City had a few great ones – including an old Abbey built in 1922-24? that was incredible!) were full of the most wonderful old buildings – the architecture was awesome, but what made it all better, is that people care about their old buildings here and actually fixed/painted them up in period colors, etc.  Block after block of awesome!


0 Comments: