Saturday, July 26, 2014

Community Theater

I’ve been very busy in the shop the past couple weeks, but still very few funds coming in – it’s been hard keeping the bills paid.  What’s really cool is to be a part of so many areas of this community.  I painted the backdrops panels for the first play of the Fountain Community Theater.  Dan, the director, had such a difficult time getting this thing going – he came in several months ago looking for support (he got some from this community) and asked if I could paint some things for him.  He had to cancel his original opening date due to not getting actors/place to perform etc. and was quite discouraged a month ago.
I painted these 3 8'x4' panels in 2 weeks!

He put up a booth at the music and art festival and found more support AND the actors he needed.  He was so excited at the opening of his first play last night and it was actually very good.  I was very impressed by the fact that these kids (15-33) pulled off a full production in 3 weeks!  I was so happy to be a part of such an endeavor.  Community theater is a vital part of a community – it brings several age groups together for a common good – things don’t always have to be about God (even tho in reality, everything goes back to God in one way or another) – but just community events like this is a great way to bring people together in unity and enjoyment.
The stage set for the play "Fond Farewell"


I love being a part of the various community events – festivals, plays, church activities, etc.; however, my favorite is to minister to people.  What’s so amazing about this, is that I’ve spent a life-time not ‘liking’ people and being a loner, even though I’ve been a part of many such things; however, this is a whole other level – because I am a disciple of Jesus and baptized in the Holy Spirit, telling other’s about God’s work in our lives, leading others to Jesus, and teaching people about the Holy Spirit’s personal inner change in each – that is the best.  What’s even better, is seeing the changes occur in the people I minister to.

Even though I enjoy working with the kids, talking with them, teaching them life lessons, I’ll be glad when they go back to school and the adults start coming back into my shop!  I’m still blown away by how many kids (8-11 esp.) are out wandering the streets from morning to night every day with no accountability, no one checking up on them – I see what an important ministry we have here to be able to have a safe place for them to hang, to make sure they have lunch, and even the changes in their life (from our talks) and I hope, life altering direction change – so that even when after we leave, these lessons stick with them.  I really hope ( praying for God to send someone) to hand this ministry off to someone who will continue what we are doing.
cast and crew

0 Comments: